Oh! I thought it was Christmas already. I can’t just wait for that season to be here. I mean the whole papparazi is always fun.
Number 1: there’s always chicken somewhere. Chicken is like a sacred part of Christmas which cannot be carried over.
Number 2: Santa and carols. I remember the first time I realized Santa doesn’t come from wherever outside the country our parents and other elders say it comes from. It was my English teacher that wore the Santa dress and I could see his face because he lost his face mask. I was amazed and felt betrayed. But, trust me, the lie ain’t ending yet. I’m going to tell my children Santa comes from London.
Christmas is a time of festivity. A time to wine and dine. A time to try out new recipes with family and friends. A time to manipulate rice in a different and probably new way. So, on the occasion of my countdown to Christmas, I put together these recipes for you to try with your folks. Check them out and let me have your feedback.
Rice is one dish that goes for all occasions irrespective of religion, race, gender or whatever determines the foods we eat. It’s the go-to food for every Nigerian. And along with rice is always a protein supplement and of course, chicken is Christmas’.
Anyway, to start my list of Christmas recipes is Jollof rice. Nigerian jollof to be specific. I do not have any allegation against other forms of jollof but I am Nigerian and the only jollof I’ve tasted is Nigerian Jollof. Quick question please,
[easy-tweet tweet=”If Jollof was a human name, which would fit better? Sister Jollof or Brother Jollof?” user=”via @foodiedame” hashtags=”#food”]
Tatashe- red bell pepper
Tomato paste or puree
Curry powder, thyme, stock cubes and salt.
Click here to continue reading Jollof rice recipe.
2. Nigerian Fried Rice: In Nigeria, after jollof rice, it’s fried rice. Often times, they are served as a combined dish. The basic ingredient for fried rice is vegetable oil, rice, curry and vegetables like green pea, sweet corn, giant beans(optional). I don’t know why too many people don’t like giant beans in their fried rice though. If you’ve nor had your fried rice with giant beans, please try it and feed me back!
Nigerian Fried rice recipe:
•Total time: Over an Hour
Preparation of the liver
For people like me who love varieties and enjoy trying out new recipes, I’ll recommend Chinese Fried Rice instead of Nigerian Fried Rice for Christmas deluxe. My Chinese rice recipe is rich in vegetables as well as animal protein, egg. Try it out and enjoy the good taste.
- 2 Cups Rice Long grain
- 1 Large Green pepper
- 5 Green peas
- 2 Long Spring onions
- 1 Medium Onion
- 2 Eggs You can use three if you really love eggs
- 1 Tsp Garlic paste
- 1 Tsp Ginger paste
- 3 Tsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tsp Ground pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 3 Stock cubes Add according to discretion and taste
- 2 tsp salt Add according to your discretion and taste
Cook rice ensuring it’s not sticky, drain and set aside
While preparing rice, chop green pepper, green pea, spring onions and white onions. Set aside
Click here to continue
4. Coconut Fried Rice: Coconut fried rice is another delicious variation rice which can be prepared for an amazing Christmas experience. It is quite easy to prepare. The simple addition of coconut; be it in form of coconut milk, coconut shavings or coconut oil; makes it distinct and excite your palate.
- 500g long grain white Rice
- 200ml Coconut Milk
- 1 handful Coconut flesh/meat(optional)
- 300ml Chicken stock/broth Or Water
- 100g cleaned Shrimps(fresh or frozen)(you can also use fried liver or beef)(optional)
- 2 large Carrots
- 1 handful/50g Green Peas or Runner Beans
- 1 large Green bell pepper
- 1 large Red bell pepper
- 1 handful/ 50g Sweet corn(from the can)
- 1 large Onion bulb
- 2-3 tablespoonful Curry Powder
- 1½ teaspoonful Garlic Powder
- ½ tablespoonful Black or white pepper (optional)
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder/ grated ginger (optional)
- 1-2 Cooking spoonful Vegetable Oil/Coconut oil
- 2-3 stock cube/seasoning cube
- salt to taste
Method: The first step is to prepare the ingredients for the coconut fried rice.
If you don’t have chicken stock, you can also use plain water, but you’ll have to add extra seasoning to make the coconut fried rice as tasty as when stock is used. Parboil rice and chop vegetables.
Continue at nigerianfoodtv.com
5. Coconut Jollof Rice: Coconut Jollof rice is a recipe that’s unique in it’s taste characterized by coconut milk.
Tatashe- red bell pepper
Tomato paste or puree
As per usual. Blend your pepper with enough ginger, that you can smell it, boil your pepper, heat up oil in a pot, add chopped onions, curry powder and thyme. Fry the onions till it softens, add the reduced pepper and tomato paste Fry till it thickens. Add enough beef stock, and let it boil and bubble away. Adjust for salt and seasoning cubes. Click here to continue
- Simple Whole Roast Chili Garlic Chicken
Whole roast Chicken is simply roasting a gutted chicken whole, i.e chicken with removed internal organs without cutting it. Whole roast chili garlic chicken is a recipe for whole roast chicken with the peculiar taste and garlic aroma.
Equipment you’d need:
- Roasting pan or any other oven-proof dish
- 1 whole medium sized chicken
- 1 cup Vegetable oil or melted butter/margarine
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 4 tbsp. Powdered chili pepper (or as much as needed)
- 10 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. Thyme
- 1 tsp. Curry powder
- 1 Onion, blended
- Fresh herbs, i.e curry leaves optional
Step 1: The first step is to prepare the marinade. In a small bowl, combine the salt, powdered chili pepper, minced garlic, onion blend, thyme, curry powder together. Add vegetable oil or melted butter/margarine and mix.
Step 2: Rinse the chicken which has been fully gutted with the internal organs removed. Place the chicken on a bowl. Click here to continue
2. Curry Chicken
Looks yummy right? Yea! I’m also preparing this for Christmas. Or sooner.
Click here for recipe
3. Classic fried chicken is an exquisite recipe to try. It’s beyond the usual fried chicken.Click here to read recipe.
4. Homemade Chicken Fingers:
Your kids would love this one. How else can kids enjoy food if it’s not in small bites. Chicken fingers is everyone’s delight in handiness. Just one disadvantage; its easier for your children to steal the chicken from the refrigerator because its cut in small bits. *tongue out*
5. Grilled chicken: Grilling is a delicious and quite regular method of preparing chicken. Grilling makes the chicken tender and yet delicious with all savory smoky aroma.