Observing the rate of prevalence of diabetes in the world, these low sugar whole-grain cookies are a necessity for controlling blood glucose level.
According to statistics from WHO, diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death in 2016 and this disease accounted for 1.6 million deaths globally. The prevalence of diabetes is said to be rising more rapidly in low- and middle-income countries than high- income countries.
On idf.org, it is stated that 19 million adults are living with diabetes in the IDF Africa Region in 2019. Among these African countries, South Africa has the highest percentage of prevalence with 4.6 million persons living with diabetes, followed by Nigeria with 2.7 million persons living with diabetes.
To also add that individuals with diabetes range from age 18 to 79 is to indicate the importance of making deliberate choices to prevent or delay the onset of diabetes. A healthy diet, regular physical activity, maintaining A healthy diet, maintaining a normal body weight, engaging in regular physical activity and avoiding tobacco use are ways to mitigate diabetes.
As one of the means of preventing/managing spike in blood glucose, this recipe is an absolute recommendation for anyone who often needs snacks but chooses low-sugar foods. To make these cookies, you’ll need whole-grain wheat flour, whole grain oatmeal of any brand, honey, golden syrup, butter, sugar, and almond nuts if available. The sugar can even be eliminated and substituted with molasses for further reduction of sugar.
Read the stepwise instructions below to prepare this low sugar whole grain cookies.
Low Sugar Whole Grain Cookies
- A mixing bowl
- An oven and baking tray
- 60 grams Sugar
- 240 g Margarine
- 2 tablespoon Golden syrup
- 3 tablespoon Honey
- 300 g Wholegrain oatmeal
- 180 g Whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Almond nuts
- Measure all ingredients and set them ready for mixing.
- Prepare your baking trays by greasing with oil and set aside. Also, light the oven and set heat at 180°c or medium heat level.
- In a mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar or molasses till finely incorporated.
- Add the liquid ingredients which include honey, golden syrup and mix thoroughly.
- Now add the whole wheat flour, bicarbonate of soda, oats and almond nuts.
- Mix all ingredients until the dried ingredients are well mixed into the liquid ingredients.
- Then, cut a lump some of about 50g of the dough and mold into your desired cookie shapes. You could shape into something round with a flat base like I did or other desired cookie kinds.
- Set molded dough in the greased trays and move to the preheated oven to bake for 20- 30minutes or until the edges are nicely hardened.
- Once done, leave cookies in the trays to cool before moving into storage
For an all-purpose cookie recipe, see this crunchy milk butter cookies recipe